Reposting: Sun, Protection, Love

Saturday, April 02, 2011

* I posted this article originally on May 13, 2010. It's summer once again and YOU need protection from the sun! I am an advocate of sun blocks since I burn easily. Hehe Be safe this summer!

As you may have seen, I’ve had my share of burns. I’m a good barometer for sunblocks since I’ve been using it since I was a little tot and my skin is uber sensitive. Friends and family usually ask my recommendation since I’ve gone through a myriad brands. Luckily, I’ve found the right fit for me. What are the factors that look for?
1. High SPF
2. Protection and effectiveness
3. Does not leave a white film
4. Smell
5.”Hiyang” Factor or the product’s compatibility with my skin
6. Price

In honor of the viscous weather and my advocacy for sun protection, here’s a rundown of brands I’ve experienced throughout the years.


Coppertone
1. High SPF: Yes
2. Protection and effectiveness: Yes
3. Does not leave a white film: Fail
4. Smell: Not my cup of tea
5.”Hiyang” Factor: Yes but left my face oily
6. Price: Ok

I was forced to use this because of lack of options growing up. I never really loved it’s smell and the sticky feeling it left.
Rating: 4/10

Banana Boat
1. High SPF: Yes
2. Protection and effectiveness: Yes
3. Does not leave a white film: Fail
4. Smell: Not my cup of tea
5.”Hiyang” Factor: Yes but left my face oily
6. Price: Ok

As long as it had high SPF, my mom would hoard it whenever someone would go home from the States. The 2 things that made me frown are mentioned above. During the era when I resented using sunblocks, this was good enough.
Rating: 6/10

Ocean Potion Broad Spectrum SPF 70
1. High SPF: Yes
2. Protection and effectiveness: Yes
3. Does not leave a white film: Success
4. Smell: Orange Creamsicle Goodness
5.”Hiyang” Factor: No, experienced breakouts
6. Price: Ok

I wrote about this product for WMN.ph. Read the article here. =)
Rating: 8/10 (If only I was “hiyang” to this, it would be part of my beauty arsenal.

Hawaiian Tropic Sun Junk
1. High SPF: Yes
2. Protection and effectiveness: Yes
3. Does not leave a white film: Success!
4. Smell: Citrusy good
5.”Hiyang” Factor: Yes, non-sticky and light on the skin.
6. Price: Ok

I’ve experienced a couple of types from this brand but this is the one I love the most. A friend introduced me to the Sun Junk and it has been in my arsenal ever since. This is my go to pick for sun protection for my body.
Rating: 10/10

Neutrogena Ultra Sheer® Dry-Touch Sunblock SPF 50
1. High SPF: Yes
2. Protection and effectiveness: Yes
3. Does not leave a white film: Success!
4. Smell: very light
5.”Hiyang” Factor: Oh Yes! Goodbye sticky and oily face.
6. Price: Pricey but worth it

This made me believe that sunblocks are friends and not a chore. I had my first pleasant experience with sunblocks because of the Ultra Sheer® Dry-Touch and it became part of my daily regimen. The dry touch technology was one of the factors that sealed the deal for me. In a nutshell, this is LOVE. Also, I thought that having breakouts came hand in hand with sunblocks but I hardly experienced breakouts with this one. I use this only for my face since it would be too expensive to use all over. Haha

Being the maven that Neutrogena is, they released another version that I have plans of trying out when my supplies ends. The Ultra Sheer Complete UV Waterlight Lotion has moisturizer and I’ve heard is lighter. How awesome is that?
Rating: 10/10

-----------------------
Additional Photos from:

Amazon.com




You Might Also Like

0 comments

Add me on Facebook