Holy G! The Guimaras Chronicles (Part 1)

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Remember my summer postcards post? Well here’s the detailed version for Guimaras. =)

The land of sweet mangoes (that’s not Cebu) has always been on my Must-visit-before-I-die-list. Last Holy Week without much research or planning, Guimaras treated me to a well-deserved R & R trip. On most vacations I usually do the planning, coordinating, etc so there’s a bit of “work” involved though fun nonetheless. My friend’s friend took care of our accommodations, itinerary and transportation which meant I could really RELAX!


How to get there:
Our starting point was the Ortiz Port in Iloilo. The funny thing is it didn’t look like a proper port; we were just following the people zigzagging through houses with our bags. Being the TV people that we were, we thought this would actually make for an interesting scene for a teleserye. The boat ride to the Jordan Pier in Guimaras was just 15 minutes though I don’t remember how much it cost; it was definitely less than P50. You’ll be asked to sign the tourist registration book upon your arrival the Jordan Pier. I loved that there’s a tourist help desk at the pier and prices are standardized – I felt safer. The multi-cab to your resort is P300-350 depending on the distance. It was a scenic 40 minute ride to our resort.

Accommodations:
We stayed at Kenyama Resort upon the recommendation of friends from Iloilo. It wasn’t our first choice and the place was just okay. The resort is owned by a Filipina and her Japanese husband. It has been running for just a couple of months and has 8 rooms only. We got the deluxe room (P3000) that had 2 twin beds, AC, ref, TV, hot and cold shower, safety deposit box and free breakfast for 2.

The resort sits on top of a hill which gives a beautiful view of the ocean but makes going to the beach quite challenging. Another drawback, it sits right next to a public beach so expect “massives” (hahaha a term I learned on the trip) uhm a lot of people by the shore.

The absolute good thing about Kenyama is the people. They were warm and easy to talk to; the typical Pinoy charm. It felt like we were locals hanging out with them at times.

La Puerta Al Paraiso was our first choice but it was fully booked already. We passed by this resort during our island hopping tour (more on that in the next post) and LOVED the place. The resort felt cozy, comfy and secluded with a lot of space to run around compared to Kenyama. Their rooms were considerably smaller than Kenyama’s though. I swore to reserve here on my next Holy G! trip.

* Check out Part 2 here.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Add me on Facebook